« Home | Getting Married » | The Beginning » 

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 

You Gain Some, Lose Some

My earliest memories of childhood are that of life in the Delhi university campus as a four year old. My mother was a physical education lecturer in one of the premium campus colleges and we lived in a an apartment very close to the college. We, that is my mother, sister and me. Baba lived in Kolkata where he ran a printing press.

My parents had had an arranged marriage and were yet to work out a convenient post-marriage life. Baba could not move to Delhi as his business was just settling in and the prospects looked positive. In due time they decided that Ma would move to Kolkata but that did not happen till I was five. We went to Kolkata for the summer vacations and Baba came to Delhi for puja holidays. Perhaps this arrangement left an impact in my mind which led me to relocate to Chennai -- where my husband lives -- immediately after marraige.

I quit my job and took up another with which though I am not very happy, but it allows me to have a job as well as be with my husband. I do not really blame my mother for not moving immediately. She did not have the means to, as Baba's business could well do with the extra income her work brought in in the initial years. Moreover both my parents did not have their parents or a support system like me and my husband have, one which we can fall back on in case of a financial emergency.

Ma finally gave up a job she enjoyed and the place she was so comfortable in, when I turned five, when Baba's business could afford it, and took up a lecturer's job in Calcutta University, which I know she never really enjoyed though she never ever mentioned it or was compensated like her previous job but from where she retired at the age of sixty as principal of the college. I have seen numerous long distance marriages and the children in-between other than my own childhood and they are not very happy ones.

Often in life one has to choose between two "happinessess" and that is what I did. I chose togetherness, love and a prospective happy married life to happiness in the job. Sometimes when I feel unhappy with my job I just remind my-self that you lose some to gain some and what I have gained is the love and company of my husband who happens to be cooking dinner as I write this as he wanted to cook for us, today being the eve of my birthday.

Well..it depends on your priorities in life...and of course the situation you are in...

So I guess one cannot be judgemental

Many many happy returns of the day.

When I see long distance marriages now, I think of all the togetherness they are missing out on which is particularly important in the early years. But I suppose in many cases even when they live in the same city, with demanding jobs, they hardly get to be with each other.
They miss out on so many special moments, which is ultimatley what Life is all about - like you husband cooking on the eve of your birthday!
Have a wonderful year ahead.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Shree
  • From Chennai / Kolkata, India
  • Living in the present, reminiscing the past. This is the story of my life in the present, entwined in the longings of the past and anticipation and optimism about the future.
My profile

Web This Blog

Previous posts

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    make money online blogger templates

Shree's Scribbles is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health